Wednesday, May 4, 2011

BIRTHDAY WATERMELON



"Watermelon Still Life"

8 x 10

Stretched canvas
Look for me on Etsy soon!

Ok, ok, I know -- what do birthdays and watermelon have in common?  Well,  I LOVE watermelon and instead of birthday cake every year on my birthday, I have a watermelon -- even though it isn't usually the best of melons (my birthday is May 29 -- hint, hint) because they aren't technically "in season" yet!

I did use a photo for this, but I bought a little icebox melon to set in front of me for extra added effect.  It was hard to depict how juicy the melon looked.  I will have to practice and maybe do some studies of just melon!  Of course, that will only work out if I don't get distracted and eat my set up!

2 comments:

Anne said...

I love your art!!! Do you put candles in your birthday watermelon?

Nikki said...

Thanks, Anne! No, but what a great idea! I think I am going to have to try that this year!