Tuesday, May 24, 2011

One of the Girls

"Bockers"

8 x 10

Stretched Canvas

Look for me on Etsy soon!

I painted this picture from a photo of one of my son, Spencer's, "girls" -- a trio a Buff Orpington chickens that he loved from chick to hen.  In this picture, she was standing partially under a tree, so the shadow of it fell over her shoulder.  My first impulse was to remove the shadow and just paint her golden, but I kind of liked the way her feathers looked jewel-toned in that area.

Spencer still misses his "chucks", but until we move out of "clipboard village", there will be no livestock.  Heck, we can't even put out a pot of flowers unless it is "approved".  And yet, you can have a freaking huge ugly, trampoline in your backyard....but I digress...

Interestingly, when a friend saw this picture she was sure to note that I was still painting food.  It took me a minute, but then...  Don't tell Spencer, okay?

No comments: